VOLUNTEERS NEEDED, JULY 4 - JULY 12, 2019
REWARDING SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES:
Approximately 1,000 blind and visually impaired people from across the United States and several foreign countries are coming to The Riverside and Hyatt hotels in Rochester, NY for the 2019 conference and convention of the American Council of the Blind.
Over 350 meetings, workshops, seminars, tours and social events will pack convention week. A fantastic exhibit area will include all kinds of technology, products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired.
Attendees will begin arriving on Thursday, July 4, and the last weary visitors will depart on Saturday, July 13.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Here are some of the things you and your group can do to help:
- Welcome people to Rochester at the airport
- Act as ushers in general sessions
- Volunteer at the ACB Fundraising Walk (Saturday morning, July 6th)
- Volunteer at the ACB Auction (Tuesday evening, July 9th)
- Help people locate booths in the exhibit hall
- Act as guides on tours and between meeting rooms
WHO CAN HELP?
- Boy and Girl Scouts, ROTC's, BETA Clubs
- Sunday school classes and youth groups
- Employee and neighborhood organizations
- Firefighters, police, metro employees
- Civic groups such as Lions, Rotary, Elks, and Masons
- Fraternities, sororities and students
- Individuals, relatives and friends
- Airport: July 4th through July 6th and July 12th through July 13th.
- The Hyatt Hotel, 125 E Main Street, Rochester: Every day July 4th through July 12th, (peak volunteer days at the hotel are July 4th through July 11th, some volunteers needed 7/4, 7/12 and 7/13)
- Volunteers should be able to work a three to four hour shift.
- Volunteers must be clean, hair must be neat, and dress must be appropriate. No halters or low-cut tops, cut-offs, short shorts. Underwear must not be showing and clothing with holes or excessively baggy pants are not permitted. Shoes and shirts are required.
- ACB cannot accept responsibility for supervising volunteers under 18 years of age. Under-age volunteers should be accompanied by a parent or adult group leader who can give permission for the youth's participation. Volunteers must be at least 13 years old. No babies or young children, please.
All volunteers will receive a 2019 ACB convention certificate of appreciation. Students and others needing service hours may have forms completed and signed at the Volunteer Desk.
HOW TO SIGN UP:
For more information or to register as a 2019 ACB convention volunteer:
Thank you for being an ACB volunteer!